We all have schedules. We are all busy. That is no excuse to not workout and take care of your health. I definitely respect the fact that many are pressed for time. The good news is there are some really effective exercises that can be done very quickly…and are incredibly effective. Here are my top 5:
- Burpees: These work a lot of upper and lower body muscles at the same time as well as sending your heart rate through the roof. This is one of the best individual exercises on the planet. They should be included in your workouts a couple times a week.
- Thrusters: Thrusters work just about every single muscle group in the body and like burpees, they get your heart rate up in a hurry. Thrusters can be done with a barbell, dumbbell, or kettebells. For a barbell thruster you will hold the bar on the shoulders while you perform a squat. As you come up out of the squat you will then press the barbell overhead.
- Sprints: These can be done by running, swimming, or any cardio machine. The idea it to go all out for a short period of time followed a rest period just long enough to recover for the next sprint.
- Pushups: Pushups are the king of upper body exercises as they work almost every muscle in the upper body. It’s an oldie but a goodie and should be included in your workouts on a very regular basis.
- Squats: These can be performed with out without weight. Just as pushups are the king of upper body movements, squats are the same for the lower body. They work almost every single muscle in the lower body and should be a mainstay in your workouts.
If you are pressed for time and need a quick workout consider combining 2, 3, 4, or even 5 of these exercises into one circuit style workout. You will end up working almost every muscle in the body and elevate your heart rate very quickly.